No Implantation Bleeding - Should I Worry?





If you have been trying to conceive for months, or even years, every little sign or symptom can set your mind racing. One of those little signs that most women keep an eye out for is implantation bleeding.

What is Implantation Bleeding?

For the first three weeks before ovulation, your uterine wall is very thin and has low blood flow. After you ovulate, your progesterone levels will increase. When the progesterone increases, this causes the blood flow in the uterus to increase, and the uterine wall becomes thicker. Implantation occurs when the fertilized egg embeds itself into the uterine lining. Implantation bleeding occurs when the fertilized egg attaches to the blood-filled uterine lining. When this occurs, a minuscule amount of blood can be released. If there is enough blood release, it travels from the uterus and out the vagina.




No Implantation Bleeding. Can I Still Be Pregnant?

A small amount of blood is usually released when your fertilized egg implants in your uterus. Sometimes the bleeding is so light that you never see any signs of it. Approximately 30 percent of all pregnant women have experienced implantation bleeding. If you do not have any implantation bleeding, you still have a chance of being pregnant. 70 percent of women don't see the implantation bleeding but do go on to see a positive pregnancy test.

What does Implantation Bleeding Look Like?

Implantation bleeding is similar to spotting. It is light in volume and pale-pink to brown. You may see just a singular incidence of blood to spotting that lasts over 48 hours. It is possible to confuse implantation bleeding with your period, and vice versa. However, a general rule of thumb is that if the bleeding you are experiencing is sparse, pink, spotty, and you don’t need to change (or use) a tampon or pad, then it is most likely implantation bleeding.

When Does Implantation Bleeding Happen?

The exact timing of when you would see implantation bleeding will vary from woman to woman. Your fertilized egg could be quick to travel to your uterus or take its time. If you are going to see implantation bleeding, it will usually occur between 6 and 14 day after ovulation. As you can see, late implantation could end up being confused with the start of your period. To truly know whether you are pregnant, it is best to wait until you have officially missed a period and then take a home pregnancy test. Or schedule an appointment with your doctor to have a pregnancy blood test done.


Resources:

"Implantation Bleeding: Normal in Early Pregnancy?" Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 4 Aug. 2016, www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/implantation-bleeding/faq-20058257

Zhang S, Lin H, Kong S, et al. Physiological and molecular determinants of embryo implantation. Molecular aspects of medicine. 2013;34(5):939-980. doi:10.1016/j.mam.2012.12.011.



Other BabyHopes Articles

Tips for Using the BabyHopes Online Ovulation Calculator
Tips for Using the BabyHopes Online Ovulation Calculator
BabyHopes Online Ovulation Calculator Did you know that we have an awesome ovulation calculator o...
Read More
Increase Your Chances of Getting Pregnant By Using Natural Remedies
Increase Your Chances of Getting Pregnant By Using Natural Remedies
Making the decision to try to have a baby is easy; the hard part is actually conceiving the child...
Read More
False Positive Pregnancy Tests - What Causes Them and How Common Are They?
False Positive Pregnancy Tests - What Causes Them and How Common Are They?
If you are trying to get pregnant, the desire to take a pregnancy test can be powerful. Instead o...
Read More