Making It Fun Again
Let’s all be honest: when you’ve been trying to have a baby for a while, sex can get a little bit rote, to say the least. It doesn’t help that the physiological side of baby making – knowing when you’re ovulating – is much more scientific than romantic. After all, “my cervical mucus says I’m going to be ovulating soon” isn’t exactly the most romantic pick-up line you can use on your husband. In fact, baby making can become almost a chore at times.
Here are five ways you can try to put some of the spice back in the bedroom, and the fun back in baby making:
- Plan a date. Even if your cycle is irregular, you can pretty much ballpark when you’re going to ovulate, at least within a few days or so. Plan a night out with your partner. Go out like you did when you were first dating. See a movie, enjoy a meal, and maybe even go down to the docks and “park” for a while. You may just forget your basal body temperature as things heat up between you and your spouse.
- Try something new. Change things up a bit. Try a new position, or a new sexual activity. While there is some research that suggests that a woman-on-top position might not be best for baby making, it doesn’t mean you can’t move things around.
- Explore a fantasy. Let your imagination go a little bit. Maybe a little bit of role playing might spice things up, and can breathe new life into your sex life.
- Explore each other’s bodies. Spend some time just touching, caressing, kissing, and exploring one another’s bodies. Take your time, and make a truly intimate connection, rather than just having sex.
- Talk to each other. In many cases, the best foreplay really is just a good conversation, and good company. Talk with each other about your dreams, your plans, and your fears. Talk about your life together, and dream about having that little bundle of joy. You might just be surprised how much better your baby making efforts go when you’re connected on an emotional and intellectual level.